Thursday, September 17, 2009

Intro

What's up, it's been a while. I just have been getting going with the school year at Brigham Young University, and haven't had time to post anything.

One of my intentions for this site was for it to be a source of information for other high-level amputees like myself. For those of you who don't know, my leg was amputated at the hip in 2006 after a boating accident. When I was in the hospital, my family scoured the internet for information, and found a great site: hphdhelp.org. Other than that site, there isn't much information out there.

As far as amputation classification goes, I am between a hip disarticulation and a hemipelvectomy. Part of my pelvis was cut out in my accident, but since I still have most of it remaining, for the purpose of this site, I am a hip disartic.

I have always had good balance, ever since I was a little kid. I was also fortunate enough to not have any terrible injuries from my accident (other than amputation) that really hinder me in my activities. These two facts contribute greatly to the success I've found, particularly with walking on a prosthesis. I know everyone's situation is different, so don't ever compare yourself to other amputees directly and feel inadequate because of it.

All the time I have random people come up to me and say something like "hey, my cousin lost his foot and he runs in marathons on that c-shaped blade leg! I bet you do too, right?" I don't fault these people for comments like this, because they are just relating what they know about prosthetics to me. What most people don't understand is that high-level amputations limit mobility so much because we have to control more artificial joints, lug around an extra 15 pounds or so, and there is always the possibility of falling flat on your face during any given step.

There are a few amputees that I really look up to, who do amazing things with prosthetic equipment. It has taken me over two intensive years to get to the walking skill level I'm at now, and I'm always inspired by the other guys that do so well. and by the people that learned to walk on equipment that is bulky, crude and unstable compared to what's available these days. I'm also always trying to get better, so if anyone has any good ideas that they want to share, I want to hear them.

As for equipment, I currently use a traditional hard socket with silicone lining, Otto Bock Helix 3D hip, Otto Bock C-leg and Otto Bock Trias foot. I also use a Ferrier Coupler and a rotator.

2 comments:

widemanlaw said...

Chandler,
Your are our hero! My husband, who has a hip disarticulation like yours, just got his helix hip/c-leg this week. We've been watching your videos for a few months now, and your successes are our inspiration. Three days after being fitted with his leg, my husband is able to walk without a cane or any gate aide. Our motto; if Chandler can do it, we can do it. Keep up the good work. Susan and Karl Wideman, Marquette, MI.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chandler, I'm Neal. 50 years old, HD for 45...gone thru my share of Limbs. Then blew it off for the last 10 years. Getting the Helix and C-leg in a couple weeks now. I am acclimating to a silicone sleeve...aka silicone underpants...going thru the perspiration saga...hoping I'll get used to it and stop sweating so I won't "slide in the socket. Will you tell me, you doing the silicone sleeve thing too or a naked fit into the socket with a silicone liner only? P.S...come up to Maine and we'll ski...we could even put you on a dirt bike and you can really test your balance!